My husband Jon loves snack mix. I mean, he really loves it. Before any party or large gathering, he spends hours in the kitchen carefully crafting a spicy, crunchy blend of cereals, nuts, and crackers.
So when I mentioned that I wanted to come up with a Superbowl snack as part of my partnership with Marzetti®, Jon begged me to let him help create a Buffalo ranch snack mix recipe.
Being a loving wife, of course I agreed. And his creation was delicious, as I knew it would be.
Here’s the recipe for Jon’s Buffalo Ranch Snack Mix:
- 3 cups corn cereal
- 3 cups rice cereal
- 3 cups wheat cereal
- 2 cups mini pretzels
- 2 cups cheddar crackers
- 1 cup cashews or other nut of your choice
- 1/2 cup Marzetti® Classic Ranch Dressing
- 1/3 cup hot sauce
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1.5 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
2. Mix together cereal, crackers, pretzels and nuts in a large bowl.
3. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and mix in Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, seasoned salt, onion powder, and hot sauce.
4. Gradually stir sauce into the cereal/cracker/pretzel/nut blend.
5. Pour about half the ranch dressing around the inner edge of another large bowl.
Dump some of the cereal mixture into this bowl, toss to coat, then add a little more ranch and some more of the mix. Continue until all of the ranch is incorporated evenly into the cereal mixture.
6. Pour mixture onto cookie sheet and place in oven for one hour.
At this stage, Jon babies his mix: he likes to remove the mixture every 15 minutes or so, pour it back into the bowl, and give it another toss/stir to keep the cereal from sticking together. You can also use this opportunity to try the mixture and add more ranch dressing or hot sauce if you desire more flavor or heat.
7. Remove from oven, let cool, and chow down!
It’s super-easy to customize the flavor for your family, bringing down the heat a little by using less hot sauce (or pumping it up if you’d rather), or using more ranch dressing to give it a kid-friendlier appeal.
This mix was a hit in our house during the playoffs, and we’ll definitely be serving it on Superbowl Sunday.
Love buffalo ranch flavor and snack mix? Make Jon’s recipe this weekend and let me know what you think!