Last fall we had fun with a deep-cleaning challenge, tackling the whole house over a few weeks, one zone at a time. For those of you who are eager to open up the windows and tackle winter’s cobwebs, here are the posts again – organized by area with easy, clickable links.
Spring Clean Your Home, One Area At A Time
Click the headings to read the full post from each of the “zones.” For your convenience, we’ve summarized the highlights here.
- Clean all ceiling light fixtures and fan blades
- Wipe down the tops of door frames, window frames and high windowsills
- Dust tops of high furniture and artwork/framed photos
- Vacuum cobwebs in ceiling corners
- Dust blinds
If you missed it, find out my favorite gentle household cleaners in this post.
- Clean windows
- Vacuum window wells and cleaning sills
- Dust furniture, TVs, lamps, electronics, and book shelves
- Wipe down dirty spots on walls and door frames
For a detailed list of supplies for Zone 2, be sure to click through to the post.
- Vacuum carpets
- Steam clean high traffic carpet areas
- Mop wood or laminate flooring and bathrooms
- Steam mop kitchen floors
Be sure to click through to the Zone 3 post for my favorite floor cleaning products.
In the kitchen…
- Wash/wipe down appliances and counters
- Clean out the insides of small appliances: coffee machine, microwave, toaster crumb tray
- If applicable, remove burners/drip trays from range and clean
- Clean out fridge and freezer
- Clean oven
- Mop or wash floors
- Scour/scrub sink
In the bathroom…
- Scrub inside of shower/bathtub
- Replace shower curtain liner or wash shower door
- Scrub toilets
- Wash floors around toilets
- Wash walls behind toilets (particularly if you have little boys with bad aim)
- Hand wash or mop floors
- Wipe down mirrors
- Wash sink and countertops
Want to enjoy your spring cleaning a little more?
If it’s time for a few upgrades, check out these products we’ve featured in the past (some posts include affiliate links – see individual posts for details)
- 10 Upgrades That Make Cleaning Less Of A Chore
- My Favorite Gentle, Non-Toxic Cleaners (And How To Make Your Own!)
- Great Floor Cleaning Products For Hardwood Floors, Kitchens, Bathrooms, & Carpet Areas
Image: storebrukkebruse, via Flickr Creative Commons