When I was a kid, my absolute favorite thing to order in restaurants were fried mozzarella sticks. There was something magical about those little golden-brown bites of melty, gooey cheese: they somehow seemed like something you couldn’t possibly produce at home.
Well, I was wrong, and the good news for my kids is that not only can you make mozzarella sticks at home in less than ten minutes, but the baked version is just as yummy as the deep-fried ones I remember.
Here’s my four-ingredient, ten-minute mozzarella nugget recipe featuring our sponsor Frigo CheeseHeads.
- One package Frigo CheeseHeads String Cheese
- Three eggs
- 2/3 cup Panko breadcrumbs with Italian seasoning
- Marinara sauce for dipping
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Unwrap cheese and cut each stick into thirds. (I like to keep the bites small to prevent little ones from gagging on melty cheese.)
- Lightly beat eggs with a fork
- Put breadcrumbs on a plate or shallow bowl
- Dip each cheese bite in the beaten egg, roll in breadcrumbs, then place on cookie sheet. (I covered mine with non-stick foil; if you don’t have that, coat your sheet with nonstick cooking spray.)
- Put cookie sheet in the oven for 3-5 minutes, until the nuggets begin to melt. Watch closely, because your little nuggets can turn into a puddle of delicious, delicious mozzarella goodness very quickly!
And that’s it! Dip in marinara and enjoy. (Seriously, don’t dawdle. I left the kitchen to upload photos and by the time I got back, they were all gone!)
This recipe was created in connection with my agreement as a contributor to Saputo Cheese USA Inc. For more easy kid-friendly snack recipes check out the Frigo CheeseHeads site!