Basically the holiday is a nice idea that’s somehow morphed into a strange brew of unmet expectations, pressure, and disappointment. Funny how that happens, isn’t it?
So what I want to say is this: Mother’s Day is yours, Mama. Whether eggs and bacon in bed are your thing or you want to spend the day wind-surfing…whether you want nothing more than a cuddle from your kids or long to escape to see a movie by yourself…the day is named in your honor, so you get to call the shots. The thing is, though, sometimes you have to put a little effort into making sure you get what you want, because I’ve realized that my family sometimes – okay, often – has a not-so-accurate idea of what might make me happy.
So today, don’t feel awkward about putting forth requests, or if necessary, making a plan for yourself so that you can have the kind of day you really, really want tomorrow. Even if that plan consists of nothing more than “At precisely 1 PM, I will be retreating to my bedroom with a book, I will be shutting the door, and I wish to read undisturbed until 3 PM. The only interruptions that will be accepted will involve offerings of baked goods.”
Oh, and by the way? If sitting around reading a book tomorrow sounds heavenly to you, I hope you’ll consider buying a copy of Beyond Baby: A Week-By-Week Guide To Creating A Life You Love When Your Kids Aren’t So Little. If you want to find out more about the book, you can download FIVE free sample chapters:
- Week 4: Volunteer The Smart Way
- Week 11: Set Some New Rules
- Week 18: Make An Appointment With Your Health
- Week 28: Dream Together
- Week 34: Align Your Calendar With Your Values
There’s more information about the book, the free downloadable accompanying workbook, and links to download a PDF version on the official Beyond Baby page. In addition to some fantastic Amazon reviews, Beyond Baby has been creating a lot of buzz this week! Here are links to some reviews from around the blogosphere – check them out. People are really loving this book, which makes Sarah and I so proud.
- Friday Find: Beyond Baby (Boston Mamas)
- Beyond Baby: 40 challenges for moms who are not such rookies (Rookie Moms)
- Beyond Baby by Meagan Francis. Your BFF for the next stages of parenthood. (Cool Mom Picks)
- This Mom’s Littlest Grew Up, and She Had No Idea What to Do Next (Jennifer Margulis)
- Are You Ready to Move Beyond Baby? Join Me! (Motherese)
- beyond baby :: book review (The Simple Moms)
- Beyond Baby (Like nomads, but with more stuff)
- Beyond Baby E-book Review (Saving For My Family)
No matter what kind of day you have, I hope your Mother’s Day turns out to be just what you’re hoping for. Whether you do something exciting and grand…or nothing at all.