How long should my post be?
It’s up to you. Our readers are used to essays and “longer” (by some blogging standards) posts in the neighborhood of 600-800 words. If you find your post needs more space than that, we should probably discuss breaking it into two parts or a series. You can browse past content on The Happiest Home for a more general idea of length and style.
Do I need to provide images?
Ideally, yes. We like to open with a featured image at least 450 pixels wide. A second, optional image around 250 pixels wide can be embedded later in the post. If you have images to accompany your post, please ensure you have the rights to use them (if credit should go to anyone other than you, please provide all necessary information).
If you do not have an image to accompany your post, we’ll find one for you.
Do you have specific style guidelines?
We are working on an official style guide for guest writers and contributors, but in the meantime, here are a few stylistic things we like to see:
- The longer your post, the more helpful short paragraphs, bulleted lists and subheadings are to readers – consider using them to help break your post up visually
- Make selective use of bold and/or italics for emphasis; how and where you do this is up to you – and a little goes a long way
- Single space after a period (.), please
- When your post appears on The Happiest Home home page, a short preview will appear followed by a “More Tag”. We typically add the tag at a logical place after the first 1-3 paragraphs. If you have a specific place you’d like the tag to appear, please indicate in your submission.
How should I submit my post?
Unless otherwise specified, submit your post by email to email@example.com. You may paste your post in the body of the email (preferred) or attach it as a Word document. Submitting in HTML form is not necessary, but appreciated – especially if you’ve done a lot of your own formatting.
What else do you need from me?
Please include a headshot and bio (100 words or less) when you submit your post. You are welcome to link to your blog, website or social media pages in your bio.
When will my post run?
We schedule guest posts several weeks in advance. We will let you know the date your post is scheduled to run and notify you of any changes to the schedule as the date approaches (we do sometimes shift things around).
How can I share and promote my post?
We hope you’ll share your guest post with your networks and readers. We will promote it on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ to our networks as well. Here are a few ideas of ways to share:
- Post an excerpt of the post to your own blog with a link encouraging your readers to click over
- Share the post on Facebook, tagging The Happiest Home when you do
- Share the post on Twitter, mentioning @TheHappiestHome and/or @MeaganFrancis when you do
- Pin, Instagram, Google+ – do whatever else you like to do!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any additional questions. We look forward to working with you!
Photo: Magnet4Marketing, via Flickr Creative Commons license