First, there’s the infant and toddler phase. Life – and parenting! – can be intense, difficult, and often all-consuming. You find your world shrinking and contracting as you focus on caring for a helpless new being.
But slowly things change. That baby who couldn’t go an hour without nursing starts eating table food, and suddenly he’s happy to hang out at Grandma and Grandpa’s for an evening. The toddler who was into everything, everywhere, calms down until you can actually leave her in front of the TV long enough to take a shower.
And as your life opens up before you, it can be hard to figure out how to fill the hours, the inspiration, and the energy that you once directed toward caring for tiny children.
I know, because I’ve been there. My “baby” is going on four and a half, my eldest is fifteen, and it’s been a long time since I identified as a new mom. And over the last decade or so, I’ve slowly found myself moving out of mere “survival” mode and into a time of life that feels full of possibility…but has also been a little scary at times.
Because, it’s easy to think, if I’m not a mom of tiny people, then who am I?
Over the years I’ve learned how to answer that question for myself, and now that no more babies are on the agenda for me – officially this time! – I’ve been learning how to embrace and make the most of a freer schedule, new ways of being “needed”, and the time and space I now have to pursue those dreams, big and small, that I’ve put on the back burner.
Yes, moms of little ones need a ton of support. But it’s not necessarily easy moving out of that early, intense phase, either.
What happens when you suddenly have time on your hands but have no idea how to fill it? Or when you’re finally able to get away for a few hours, but don’t have anywhere to go? What if the relationships that burned bright and strong before you became a mom have become dull and strained? What if you’ve been saying “no” to everything for sheer survival’s sake, but finally want to start saying “yes” again?
To help you with this transition I’ve created Beyond Baby, a FREE online program for moms who want to reconnect to their dreams and passions outside of motherhood.
How do you know you’re ready for Beyond Baby? Well, first of all, it’s not so much about how old your kids are as it is about where you are as a mom:
- Maybe your last “baby” has just gone off to kindergarten and you’re suddenly facing down a quiet seven hours each day…
- Your ten-month-old has started napping a solid two hours at a time, and you’ve found yourself with time to burn, creative energy to spare, and no clear focus.
- Maybe your three-year-old has finally stopped climbing the bookshelves, and you’d like to re-introduce a little adult style into your home decor,
- Maybe your eighteen-month-old has stopped freaking out when you try to leave her at the gym daycare…and you’ve got some work to do on the ‘ole physique.
In short: If you’re ready to start looking “up and out” of that intense, all-consuming period of motherhood, giving more consideration to hobbies, career, and creative pursuits; your health and relationships; your style and home; and/or all those things you’ve put aside, Beyond Baby is for you!
Here’s what you’ll get when you sign up for Beyond Baby:
- 20 weeks of self-paced lessons and activities designed to help you reconnect to your dreams and passions outside of motherhood.
- Access to a Facebook community of moms dedicated to supporting one another as you stretch your wings together!
- The opportunity to mentor moms who come into the program after you
- Online support from me (Meagan) via discussions in the Facebook group
- Access to special events like live chats and webinars.
Beyond Baby is about moving out of survival mode and into your life as a well-rounded woman with children. Whether you want to write a book, start a business, strengthen your marriage, get a handle on your house, hone a craft or hobby, or just find that smart, creative “non-mom” part of you that’s been tucked away for a while, Beyond Baby can help.
Not feeling quite “there” yet? No worries: you can sign up for Beyond Baby whenever you’re ready.
But if this sounds like just what you need to kick-start your creative passions and ambitions, or just help you make sense of a few extra hours in your week, I’d encourage you to sign up before we launch on September 15. That way you’ll be part of our first group and can get in on the conversation right from the beginning.
To sign up, just enter your email in the form below and you’ll receive your first email on 9/15. (If you can’t see the form, click here.)
Stretching your wings as a mother and woman is exciting stuff, and I can’t wait to share this journey with you. Please sign up today and feel free to let me know if there is anything you’d especially love to discuss, learn, or accomplish during your Beyond Baby experience!
Can’t wait to see you in the Facebook group, and of course feel free to leave feedback here in the comments or send me an email.